[Typo3] Some feedback to TYPO3 marketeers

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Sat Oct 15 20:01:13 CEST 2005

On 10/15/05, Christopher <bedlamhotel at gmail.com> wrote:

> A year or so ago, I was preparing to bid on a project that I'd have
> liked to use Typo3 for; the site was  in what I perceived to be a grey
> area with respect to Kasper's preferences, so I asked him about it.
> His response was (paraphrased) "Thanks for asking, I don't agree with
> that, but go ahead if you like and just don't tell me about it." _I_
> didn't want to do that, so I wrote the proposal for the project with
> another system in mind (the point being that the decision was up to
> me).

In other words, when you, as a professional, were required to make the
best choice based on technical merits acting on behalf of your
prospective client and (possibly) your employer, you chose to base
your opinion on YOUR personal moral beliefs? I am not sure our
European friends are familiar with the case, but this sounds very much
like those pharmacist refusing to fill subscription for the
contraceptives.

If I were chosing technical solutions based on MY personal beliefs, I
would not touch Typo3 with a 10 yard (pardon, meter (pardon again,
metre)) stick, primarily because my personal beliefs are that
politics, religion and work don't mix well (unless you are a
politician or a priest). I find the community too politicized, and the
fact that we are having this discussion is just another proof, elitist
and unwilling to change. I find that the leadership is often ignoring
if not encouraging and participating in "mob" behaviour in the
maillists. All in all for me Typo3 was THE MOST unfriendly,
monocultural and intolerant open source community I have EVER
participated in. (Did I tell you guys today that I love you?;)

However, as a professional I feel obliged to provide the best service
and the best solutions available to my clients, and if Typo3 happens
to be technically superior - I don't give a flying [f|d]uck how many
crucifixes Kasper decides to decorate it with or what he thinks might
be appropriate or not. I'll "censor" it myself to my own needs, may
the Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the GPL.

I remember writing a post very similar to Simon's a while ago when I
just started with TYPO3. Unlike Simon, I did manage to install it back
then, but the rest of his points are just as valid as they were 1 or 2
years ago. Wrong, we did get rid of the Rebranding, which was another
nice feature of Typo3 politics.

So, we may all save ourselves some time and just copy the responses I
got back then - that Kasper is really tolerant, that Moral license
doesn't mean what it means, that there is a plenty of great
documentation and that we are all very supportive to the newbies.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko