[Typo3] New web project: am I choosing the right product?

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Oct 10 14:36:35 CEST 2005

giovanni rana wrote:
> It is going to be a site for archiving documents in different areas
 > accessible form different user groups (with access control that
 > links areas and groups).

Define "documents".
If you need to manage Files like PDF, DOC, SWX etc. it might be an
option to use the DAM /Digital Asset Management) of TYPO3 and write a
frontend for it.

> I would also like to publish news, on the site and via RSS.

The extension called tt_news does that job for you.

> I would also need a calendar for the users

there are several calendar plugins for TYPO3 available.

> and a feature to allow them to exchange messages (also external
 > mail would do).

AFAIK there is an extension (or several) for this too.

> I've done few tests with Mambo, but it seems to me that it lacks the
> security framework to handle the access of specific areas only to
> specific user groups.

I don't know mambo at all, so I won't be able to state any useful input
on that issue.

> I was wondering if Typo3 can be a clever choice.

It could be one.

> Am I looking at the wrong tool?

Depends.
Maybe a dedicated DMS (Document Management System might be the more
clever choice.
But those often lack WEB functionality.

--
if ($GLOBALS['TSFE']->fe_user->user['ahnung'] == 0) {
	$this->fresseHalten = 1;