[Typo3] Is TYPO3 used in amarica at all

Gabriel Anast gabriel at anast.org
Tue Oct 4 06:02:41 CEST 2005

>Do they have a secret os-cms-project overthere, that can compare typo3?

Yeah, honestly, its called Contribute, or sometimes MSCMS

[Collective Typo3 response]: What the... ? Why?

[Answer]: Most US developers that are doing work that requires a) the
skill that Typo3 demands or b) the power that Typo3 avails are selling
to companies that require these three things: a) Official printed
documentation & official support contracts, 2) expensive training
seminars in Las Vegas, and 3) budgetable software. They require these
things because they are "hard coded" into their budgets.

I know that sounds insane. I have just about made my own web design
company profitable, and I have to do two things:

First I have to tell the client that their website does not require
third party software... that it runs on advanced PHP and HTML only...
which is stupid... but to the PHB this means: "I don't have to buy a
software license from Microsoft or Macromedia, therefore I don't need a
line item for software in my competitive bid comparison sheet." If I
told them up front that I developed on open source... most of them would
choke right there, "Its got to be some kind of scam... we can't budget
open source... this schiester is including the license fee in his
development price... etc, etc" I do include the fact that the site runs
on Typo3, and an enumerated list of extensions in the contract... but no
one ever sees that....

Second I have to tell them that the site is easy to use and that we
provide all of the (on-site) training. I make it a required part of
every contract. This actually is quite satisfying to most of my clients.
I thought there would be more of a balk at the fact that there are not
regular training seminars... then again I have never actually brought
this fact up with any of my clients... and fortunately none have asked.

In my (possibly uninformed) opinion: the most important things that
Typo3 can do to increase US adoption are: a) make the interface more
intuitive--which includes prettier themes (vis: Mamabo & Contribute) and
b) Sanitize the English used in the documentation (which I can do over
time... I just need to make it a priority). These two things would take
care of point #1 above.

Point #2 could be taken care of by a consortium of North American
developers that could (among other things) hold an "across the pond"
T3board or TyCON so that we could generate some local interest among
developers and maybe put together a group that could host T3 training
seminars in Vegas or DC (or Banff/Lake Victoria, that's what I'm talkin
about!) etc.

Finally, (and this applies to Open Source Software across the board) we
need to come up with a cool catch-phrase that basically means "Software
development and implementation" that goes into the "software license
fees" field in a budget request form... Something "so good" that will
become the default name for that field on all requisition sheets and
balance sheets that basically means: "software license fees or
development fees for software with open type licenses." Something like
SMART fees (Software Maintenance, Authority, and suppoRT =
updates/patches contract, whatever license fees are associated, and the
service/support contract). This way budget sheets could easily have a
number that works for Open Source type licenses as well as "broken
source" type licenses. E.g.: Development cost: €4,500; Initial SMART fee
€0,00; annual recurring SMART fee €1,200. That would really look nice on
a competitive bid form against Contribute or MSCMS...

--gabe