[Typo3] Is TYPO3 used in amarica at all

Joseph Toon plug at geckohost.com
Tue Oct 4 20:48:46 CEST 2005

While not the definitive reason by any means, as an American, it took quite a
while to realize what Typo3 had to offer so I think the BIGGEST issue has
been marketing (though it is getting better).

A few years back I was looking for an enterprise level CMS system and Typo3
from a baseline feature standpoint had what I was looking for. However, I
didn't have a feeling there was a strong community around Typo3. I didn't
hear a bout it on any of the US-centric discussion forums I frequented, no
one seemed to know about it, when looking for things like "typo3 review" in
the search engines, if I got a hit, it was usually in German.

With the steep learning curve of the system (I couldn't just install it and
have a pre-fab website ready-to-go like other options) I felt it was well
outside my grasp and looked elsewhere (inparticular, Mambo and Plone).

When I revisited the topic back in May, things were much different. It seemed
that there was much more documentation and information regarding Typo3. With
the english Typo3 book on its way to being released and the
WebEmpoweredChurch project taking hold, it looked very promising.

Unfortunately most of my intial learning of the Typo3 system happened
primarily with reading documentation and watching the online videos -- while
good, some of the assumptions made in that documentation seemed to go over my
head. I am unsure if this was simply my lack of understanding of Typo3 or
cultural differences. After getting the Typo3 book, I found my ability to
grok Typo3 has skyrocketed. Granted, I am not at the point of writing
extensions but *hopefully* soon (have lots of big plans :).

So my thoughts are simple.. I think Typo3 usage is on an upswing in America.
While definitely not as big as in Europe, it is definitely growing. With the
book now available and more Americans providing input (I'd assume) I think
usage will continue to escalate. I would LOVE to see Typo3 events in America
such as Tycon3.