[Typo3] Google Analytics Script after meta tag

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Thu Nov 17 14:50:39 CET 2005

I'll just sum up several points if noone minds.

Q. Why do we need an extension?
A. Because you can't follow Google's instructions on placing their
javascript code inside <head> container by using TypoScript. Anything
you insert from TypoScript will end up _above_ <title> element and
this will break several reports that are based on document's title.

Q. Why do we need several extensions?
A. Because variety and competition is good. I did check the repository
before building one and  Eirik's wasn't published when I started mine.
I don't read english list on a daily basis. Nevertheless, I don't see
a problem with having two extensions that do the same thing in
different ways.

Q. Why do people write their own extensions and not just cooperate?
A. Because in small things like this one writing your own is sometimes
a faster way to get the functions you need implemented.

and finally

Q. Filtering BE and FE/editing mode views
A. ... (in my humble opinion) should be done by implementing filters
in your analytics profile. If we implement this in the extension, we
are still left with your own traffic when you are not logged in. The
solution to this problem is to tune the filters in your Analytics
account, either by IP or just drop any visits that have /typo3/ as a
step in them. If I am not mistaken about what was available in Urchin,
this is available in GA.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko