[Typo3] TYPO3 on Windows - how is it working?

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Mon Mar 7 12:58:10 CET 2005

Hello Michael,

Some comments!

One of my customer requested to put up the Typo3 install om a Windows 2003
server with IIS 6. Reason, some application who don't run under UNIX/LINUX
at this moment. Apache wasn't any alternative, because some of the application
only producing .asp pages. They are linked to from the typo3 pages. But we
hope for new versions who are using php and MySql (they are in development).
Main reasons for future change is cost. The applications are using Oracle
as database, and that's not for free. The install is multisite, hosting four
different sites today.

My experience with Windows 2003 server is very good. Installation was easy,
only problem getting ImageMagick to work (beacuse of cmd.exe). The installation
is stable. For a lot of people, who is competent with Windows, it's probably
easier to install Typo3 on Windows. Expecially if they use Apache as webserver
(no problem with cmd.exe).

My recommandation to customers are. If they want to host their website inhouse,
and are most comfortable with Windows, use Windows. If not, use UNIX/Linux
(ISP-services). I don't want to push customers to platforms they not feel
competent with, and se it more important that they are using one of the best
CMS, than making it a OS question.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no