[Typo3] TYPO3 on Windows - how is it working?

Boris Senker typo3 at dvotocka.hr
Mon Mar 7 12:30:52 CET 2005

Hi Michael,

> Why are you using it? Was this your decision or was this requested by
> someone else (boss, customer)?

We are still using TYPO3 on local development box only due to being used
to Photoshop/Flash graphics tools etc. although our webserver is Linux
based. We are preparing a local Linux server/gateway soon so TYPO3 will
be served from Linux for dev.

> Where are you using it? Do you use the Windows server only for testing
> purposes or do you also use it for production?

Testing and development purposes only. We don't provide Windows-based
hosting, and never will.

> What webserver are you using? IIS, Apache, ...? Did you compare between
> those server components?

Apache.

> And finally, how is it working? Are you happy with that server environment,
> would you recommend it, or did you give up in order to switch to a Unix
> system?

Well, we will be transfering even local development platform fully on
Linux, because we have found the best way to develop for Linux-based
webservers to build a local environment as similar to webserver's as
possible. This is especially valid for proper setting/adjusting of
system groups/users permissions etc. which WIndows are not really
capable of doing so precisely and finely-grained so it has proven to us
that it is best to base a local development on Linux platform as well.

Since we are also in process of building shared/VPS environments for
TYPO3 hosting to public, it is really time to say goodbye to Windows
serving any of the services our webserver does.

> Maybe have a look at the newly set up Wiki page and feel free to extend it
> with useful details:
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Operating_System

Yup, I did post a thing or two. Will some more probably.

> Thanks for your comments!

No problem. ;)

Boris Senker

: dvotocka design

Graphic Design for Print and Web, Prepress, Website Production

J. Laurencica 8, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.dvotocka.hr