[Typo3] cHash and Tip-a-Friend Extension

R.Jones at FIXT.org R.Jones at FIXT.org
Tue Jul 19 17:43:18 CEST 2005

I have the Tip-a-Friend extension set up in the template setup:

temp.tipafriend = USER
temp.tipafriend {
    userFunc = tx_tipafriend->main_tipafriend
    code = TIPLINK
    templateFile = {$plugin.tipafriend.file.templateFile}
    typolink.parameter = 68 _top
}

This worked fine initially, but as the website grows the page with the
Tip-a-Friend form takes longer and longer to parse (20 to 30 seconds).  I
assume it's because there are three menus incorporated into the page
template.  If that's the case, I guess I have a few options:

1) Cache the Tip-a-Friend form page.  Even though this could result in
hundreds of cache records, it is my current preference because the page has
a more seamless look.  The problem is, even if I enable caching for the
page, and each page has a unique URL (&tipUrl=) the page only gets cached
once.  Unfortunately, some of the mysteries of &cHash still elude me and I
can't figure out how to generate one for each page.

2) Strip the menus out of the Tip-a-Friend form page.

3) Make the Tip-a-Friend form a pop-up window.  Since more and more people
are blocking pop-ups, this may be the least favorable option.

If anyone has run into this problem and has any suggestions, it would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick Jones
Version 3.6