[Typo3] TIP: Gmenu_layer dropdown menu alternative [suckerfish dropdown / CSS]

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 22:57:49 CET 2005

Hi there,

--- Mark Gillingham <markgill at greatbooks.org> wrote:

> Christopher wrote:
> >

> > I've used a combination of ALA's 'suckerfish' menus plus the .htc
> file
> > from the 'whatever:hover' menus (just do a search to find it). The
> .htc
> > file 'turns on' :hover for arbitrary elements in IE. You can see a
> > sample implementation of it at http://www.bedlamhotel.com. They
> both
> > work fine with nested lists - in fact, unless I'm mistaken, they
> RELY
> > on properly nested elements in order to work.
> >
> > -Christopher
>
> I have the .htc file on two sites. One of them recently stopped
> hovering
> and I'm trying to determine when it happened and what I changed. The
> largest difference between the sites is the version of T3--3.7 vs.
> 3.6.2. The older version stopped working. Recently, I've added many
> pages and two extensions. I uninstalled the extension with not
> recovering of the hover. I also made sure the my CSS was working by
> substituing the CSS from the working site.
>
> Have you seen this? Where else might I look?

I haven't seen this, but I can be reasonably sure that it's pretty much
a separate problem from Typo3 - after all, the menus are just html, the
.htc is just javascript and the css is just css.

What I would check (in this order):

1. Make sure that the path to the .htc file is correct; it's easy to
get it wrong (you can test it, for example, by setting up the exact
whatever:hover sample page on your site in the same location as your
non-working-menu pages using the same path to the file)

2. Validate html - these css-dropdowns *depend* to a large degree on
properly nested lists

3. Validate css

Other than that, I don't have any immediately interesting ideas for
solutions, but if you just *can't* find anything wrong, I could try to
take a look sometime.

-Christopher