[Typo3] TIP: Gmenu_layer dropdown menu alternative [suckerfish dropdown / CSS]

Mark Gillingham markgill at greatbooks.org
Fri Feb 18 23:25:21 CET 2005

Christopher wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> --- Mark Gillingham <markgill at greatbooks.org> wrote:
>

>>Christopher wrote:
>>

>>>I've used a combination of ALA's 'suckerfish' menus plus the .htc
>>
>>file
>>
>>>from the 'whatever:hover' menus (just do a search to find it). The
>>
>>.htc
>>
>>>file 'turns on' :hover for arbitrary elements in IE. You can see a
>>>sample implementation of it at http://www.bedlamhotel.com. They
>>
>>both
>>
>>>work fine with nested lists - in fact, unless I'm mistaken, they
>>
>>RELY
>>
>>>on properly nested elements in order to work.
>>>
>>>-Christopher
>>
>>I have the .htc file on two sites. One of them recently stopped
>>hovering
>>and I'm trying to determine when it happened and what I changed. The
>>largest difference between the sites is the version of T3--3.7 vs.
>>3.6.2. The older version stopped working. Recently, I've added many
>>pages and two extensions. I uninstalled the extension with not
>>recovering of the hover. I also made sure the my CSS was working by
>>substituing the CSS from the working site.
>>
>>Have you seen this? Where else might I look?
>

> I haven't seen this, but I can be reasonably sure that it's pretty much
> a separate problem from Typo3 - after all, the menus are just html, the
> .htc is just javascript and the css is just css.
>
> What I would check (in this order):
>

> 1. Make sure that the path to the .htc file is correct; it's easy to
> get it wrong (you can test it, for example, by setting up the exact
> whatever:hover sample page on your site in the same location as your
> non-working-menu pages using the same path to the file)
>
> 2. Validate html - these css-dropdowns *depend* to a large degree on
> properly nested lists
>
> 3. Validate css
>

> Other than that, I don't have any immediately interesting ideas for
> solutions, but if you just *can't* find anything wrong, I could try to
> take a look sometime.
>

> -Christopher

Thanks Christopher. I had already done your tests and others. One
interesting test, which eliminates T3 as the source of the problem, is
that when I arrange for a horizontal menu to have two-levels, it renders
the hover properly. Therefore, the .htc file is found and the version of
T3 does not matter. Both CSS and HTML are valid except for extensions.
However, I shouldn't think the CSS for extension would matter if I have
already proved that the hover works. I guess I'll trim the menu CSS down
to the barest of code to see what I can find. Thanks for thinking . . .

Mark