[Typo3] Can somebody PLEASE show me how to get a searchbox

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 18:22:48 CET 2005

On 09/12/05, Scotty C <superscotty19 at yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I am very
> serious about this issue because it involves a big
> project with a deadline.

It's fairly clear that you haven't  yet learned the _basics_ of Typo3.
Why would you take on a large project based on a large, complex system
that you're not even familiar with? Don't expect much sympathy on the
lists...

> Second, if the question "has already been answered
> several times", why was I unable to find it anywhere
> on the Typo3 site or Google?

Good question. I get several useful results at the top of the very
first page of the very first search I try [1].

> This is exactly the point
> of my original email - everything is "supposed" to be
> so easy, and just plug-in to the site,

Nobody on _this_list told you learning Typo3 was easy. Where did you
hear _that_? Read around the lists; Typo3 is _not_ suitable for
one-off projects. The system is complex enough that the time it takes
to become reasonably sophisticated with it is usually from several
months (at the bare minimum!) to two or three _years_. Because of
this, it makes little sense for someone who only intends to build one
website with it to use Typo3.

> but rarely do
> extensions ever work, and I know I'm not the only
> person noticing this.

This is patently ridiculous. It makes no sense to conclude that
something doesn't works simply because _you_ don't know _how_ it
works.

> On top of that, documentation is
> very poor and further,

More ridiculous still. In what way is it poor? Tens of thousands of
Typo3 sites have been built on the basis of the existing
documentation. If you have specific recommendations for documentation,
then suggest them to the author(s), but please don't just whine about
it.

The main problem here (as far as I can judge from this thread) is that
you are expecting to find advice for how to use Typoscript _generally_
(and, in particular, the TEMPLATE object [2]) in a specific extension
manual. If you think the documentation is hard to follow now, imagine
how bloated it would be if every single manual explained how to use
any possible combination of TS all over again...

> mailing lists seem to reply
> with some smart remark rather than help! If there's
> documentation, then great! But please, tell me where
> it is! I

No doubt this will be interpreted as some kind of sarcastic remark,
but you _must_ learn typoscript to get anywhere with Typo3. Your best
option at the moment is probably to revisit the GoLive tutorial--since
it uses the methods you're having trouble with. You should probably
also go through the relevant parts of the Typoscript By Example
manual.

<snip>

-Christopher

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atypo3.org+%2B+%22indexed+search%22+%2B+%22on+every+page%22