[Typo3] New guy here - News site suggestions?

Chris Wittmann [SwiftLizard] chris at swift-lizard.com
Thu Aug 18 17:24:21 CEST 2005

Hi Mauro,

welcome to Typo3.

> Hi everybody.
>
> I am a new typo3 user, I actually just started to study it.
> I read the Quickstart guide and Modern Template Building Part 1 and
> gave a fast look at MTB Part 2/3 and Futuristic Template Building.
> I can write HTML and I am a good PHP & SQL developer.
> That was my presentation :)

Sounds like like you will have no problems with Typo3 with that skills.

> Now, the reason why I approached typo3 is to understand if it could
> help me to develop faster and better my idea compared to pure coding.

This might be the right place, really ;-)

> The basic concept behind this idea is a news site, with news divided
> into categories.
> in the main page I would like to list the last n news articles
> submitted in a format like:
> "date and time - category name and icon - poster - first x characters
> of the article - button to read the whole article"

Just the basic Newsplugin would be a very good friend of yours,..
load it from the TER, install it to your typo3, insert the plugin
on your page an set its type to list...

> If I press the button to read the whole news article, in the page I
> get the article, the user comments and a form for registered users to
> comment.

Sounds to me, please correct me guys when i´m wrong at this point, like
for this part you´ll have to write a basic extension , shouldn´t be too
comlplicated..

> On some part in my site I will have links to:
> - category 1
> - category 2 (etc...)
> Clicking on any category I will enter the categoryabc.siteurl.com with
> different template and with the same content that the main page but
> the news filtered on the choosed category.

This one you can also do with tt_news, just create some categorys in BE
an relate the plugins on different pages to different categorys.

> Of course this is just the basic idea, there is really more, and this
> is why I choosed typo3. I wanted to be sure to use a tool capable of
> letting me develop the more complex and less standard part later.
> But for now I would be more than happy to do the easy (let's call it
> so) stuff :)

Sounds like you have chosen the right tool.

> So, the reason why I wrote this mail (yes, there is one) is to ask you
> for suggestions about modules and tools I should give a look at.
> For example, when submitting articles, I would like to just choose the
> category and then the related category icon would automatically appear
> on the page. Would TV help me on this?

At the moment TV has only limited Frontend-Editing capabilitys.
With TV, robert please correct this one if i´m wrong an some of the
points mentioned at bugtracker are fixed,.. you only got "edit" and
"delete" working in FE, the other options "hide, sort, new content
element" are suposed to work at the end of the year.

It is your choice whether your editors should work in BE,
in this case TV is a dream come true, or whether you would like to have
'em working in FE.

chris