[Typo3] modified documentation and the OPL

Tilman Schlereth typo3english at websight.de
Wed Apr 27 05:55:22 CEST 2005

high,

we have to write some documentation for users who hardly know how to put on
their computer ;-)
all these users have backend access for their subpages in a certain project
and for some modules. most of the modules are self-written, so that existing
docs won't fit...

for those special modules we'll have to write complete new docs, but for
many parts of our project there is already documentation. we'd like to give
the users a complete guide from "the login" up to e.g. "manage news
articles" in a single document.

so we'd like to take some text from existing documents like "Getting
started" or the "tt_news" tutorial, which are naturally under the OPL
license.
how do i have to state this in the new docs?

the OPL says:

"[...]
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the OpenContent or any portion of
it, thus forming works based on the Content, and distribute such
modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you
also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified content to carry prominent notices stating
that you changed it, the exact nature and content of the changes, and the
date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or
in part contains or is derived from the OC or any part thereof, to be
licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of
this License, unless otherwise permitted under applicable Fair Use law.

These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. [...]"

so we put the following text in the header of our documents:

"Copyright 2005, ... *own copyright*

partially based on (all available from www.typo3.org):

Getting Started
Copyright 2003, Kasper Skårhøj, <kasper at typo3.com>

EXT: news
Copyright 2000-2004, Rupert Germann, <rupi at gmx.li>

This document is published under the Open Content License
available from http://www.opencontent.org/opl.shtml

The content of this document is related to TYPO3
- a GNU/GPL CMS/Framework available from www.typo3.com"

is that enough?
or do i have to say detailed which chapters we took, which one is completely
untouched, where we made changes which day etc... *hope not*

greetings
tilman