[Typo3] What would you expect of a TYPO3 webhost?

Boris Senker typo3 at dvotocka.hr
Sat Apr 9 15:28:52 CEST 2005

Ok, here is what we came up with thus far for the preinstalled TYPO3
variant:

- managed to make a common typo3 source running under suPHP without
permission issues,
- made a unified typo3 source with a default set of global extensions to use
(default extension set will grow)
- made a default localconf.php for vhosts
- users can install local extensions, can't install global ones.
- made a default vhost-specific directory structure that will be later used
for an automatic installer we will make.
- made media filder into vhost instead of symlinking it, so they can install
PHP scripts into media/scripts folder of their own. Otherwise would be
unsafe and anyway suPHP wouldn't allow such scripts to run from a non-user
owned folder.

To do:

- decide on the install tool policy - probably to disable it fully after we
perform an inital setup
- disable TYPO3 output compression completely - OR - disable mod_deflate for
TYPO3 installs - subject to change
- make an automatic installer for vhost that will populate the vhost's
directory with the proper subdirectory structure, files and symlinks

All here + some fine-tuning will enable us to provide a properly
preinstalled TYPO3 per vhost in less than 10 minutes of our work per vhost.

Any other suggestions / comments / corrections ?

Thanks,

Boris Senker

: dvotocka design

Graphic Design for Print and Web, Prepress, Website Production

J. Laurencica 8, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.dvotocka.hr