[Typo3] What would you expect of a TYPO3 webhost?

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Apr 9 20:38:00 CEST 2005

Boris Senker <typo3 at dvotocka.hr> wrote:
>> You need to decide how to upgrade extensions.
>> The global extensions will be upgradable to users or not.
> We will run every account inside a separate chroot, I have to think
> and decide on global extensions policy. What do you guys suggest?

Hm, maybe the original question suggested shared hosting to the extent
of shared TYPO3 copy :-)

It may be more robust to use VServer (linux-vserver.org) instead of
chroots -- it seperates process contexts (so that top/ps outputs won't
disclose infos but will be informative) and recent versions seem to
implement per-vserver resource limits (like memory and CPU *percent*).

You can also delegate (somewhat limited, e.g. no raw sockets) root
accounts on vservers and use different distros to form vserver roots.

This requires custom kernel.  *shameless plug* ALT Linux has 2.4/2.6-vs
kernels (and apt-rpm, which is even more important for me -- sorry but
RedHat's package management is a pain *if* left with only low-level rpm!).

> No rsync (tends to hang sometimes)

Would timeout on network outages but never hung upon me.  Hmm...

--
Michael Shigorin
EMT.Com.UA