[Typo3] What would you expect of a TYPO3 webhost?

Boris Senker typo3 at dvotocka.hr
Mon Apr 4 18:16:11 CEST 2005

Hi guys,

thanks for your replies.

"Nagy Péter" <nagyp-ll at hunaxon.hu> wrote in message
news:mailman.929.1112553484.19001.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...

> You need to decide how to upgrade extensions.
> The global extensions will be upgradable to users or not.
>
> How to install an extension, if a user need it.
> If localy, then when some users need it too, maybe you need to change it
> to a global extension and tell users to use that one.

We will run every account inside a separate chroot, I have to think and
decide on global extensions
policy. What do you guys suggest?

> At my service provider, I was unable to connect to the extension repo,
> because of a server setting. But if you use the server yourself too, you
> could see the problems. :)

Yes, that's a allow_url_fopen setting in php.ini, we allow it.

"Daniel Parrott" <danpm44 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1112589226.25271.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi Boris,
>
> Briefly,
> - I believe SSH access is a must.  Much nicer to go in with vim and poke
>  around or use rsync on fileadmin/ than to ftp stuff about.

SSH - yes. As I said, every account will be inside a separate chroot jail,
with a well-thought minimal set of binaries to use.

No rsync (tends to hang sometimes), but Unison which really works nice. So
folder syncing will be available. If later it turns our that some TYPO3
extension requires
rsync, no problem.

Does any TYPO3 function / extension require rsync? Didn't see anywhere...

> - I've had sometrouble with Red Hat using their own strange regex engine
>  with PHP that caused some problems with Typo3; think that's fixed on
>  recent (since 7.?) RH though.  For that matter had trouble with
>  /dev/random freezing but that's a long-gone RH kernel bug.

CentOS 4.0 with 2.6 kernel ;)

> - Advice on allowFollowSymLinks - if you don't allow it or allow it to
>  be changed in .htaccess, it could help to advise your customers to
>  copy the index.php and showpic.php files into their site's local
>  directory.

We allow it, and allow .htaccess changes.

> - All the ImageMagick, GDLib, FreeType bells and whistles in the right
>  versions - but you've said elsewhere you've got that covered anyway.
> - For a small Typo3 site I'd want at least 100Mb.

Yes, starter-package will be 100 Mb.

> Otherwise just good service...

Well, I wouldn't offer anything I wouldn't be satisfied with as a TYPO3
developer (which I am, proudly).

Thanks guys, your input is valuable.

Any thoughts and suggestions more, anyone?

Boris Senker

: dvotocka design

Graphic Design for Print and Web, Prepress, Website Production

J. Laurencica 8, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.dvotocka.hr