[TYPO3-dev] What is the right way to upgrade TYPO3 v4.5x to v7.5.0

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Oct 3 00:01:35 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 02/10/2015 21:06, Ghanshyam B. Gohel wrote:
> What I did till:
> way 1. rebuild site and convert alle custom piBase extension to extBase,

piBase is still supported, so there is no technical need to rebuild the
extensions.

> way 2. followed instructions of upgrade LTS to LTS

Yes, always upgrade to next LTS and then continue from LTS to LTS (4.2
-> 4.5 LTS -> 6.2 LTS -> 7.x); the Upgrade Wizards only support changes
from the previous LTS.

> - custom piBase extension was not supported so I have to convert into
> extBase some of reason t3lib, t3lib_div(generalutility), t3lib_... or?

You can keep using piBase extensions if you want. Use these steps to
update them:

- in TYPO3 4.3 the class autoloader was introduced; until 6.0 you could
still have require/include statements for class file. If you upgrade to
6.2 you'll notice quite a few fatal errors because of require/include
statements. In almost all cases it's simply solved by removing those
include statements.
- a few really old functions were removed, but that is rarely a problem

In 6.0 namespaces were introduced. All classes of the core were given a
new name. There was however a compatibility layer which mapped the old
class names to the new ones
- use a nice editor which shows you the deprecated functions and classes
such as PhpStorm to change the old names to the new ones (t3lib_div ->
\TYPO3\CMS\Core\Utility\GeneralUtility)

If you use namespaces to call core functions you can upgrade to version
7.x without having to use the compatibility6 extension (which costs
quite a bit performance if it's installed). There might be a few calls
that need to change, but it's not much in most cases.

> Please share your opinion, experienced with upgrade v4.5 LTS to v7.x
> LTS, any issues, easy steps, methods or any extensions which helps to
> upgrade like smoothmigration, anythings or your single line reply might
> helps a lot.

Before you start, make sure your database and every single table,
column, etc. is UTF-8 (utf8_general_ci). See
http://www.typo3coder.nl/development/upgrade-to-typo3-62-and-database-issues/
for background information and tools to fix most problems.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!