[TYPO3-dev] /index.php on servers without symlinks

Jan Bartels j.bartels at arcor.de
Thu Aug 7 00:14:00 CEST 2014

Am 06.08.2014 um 23:35 schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> I guess you have a few choices:
>
> 1. ask hoster to enable symlinks (any serious hoster will allow them)
I don't think that they will do.

Btw: I'm speaking of symlinks to files only. Symlinks to directories are
working fine.

> 2. do the updates manually
Obviously.

> 3. change hoster (not a bad choice IMO)
Not an option. The hoster is really good in terms of service level,
support and so on. We are not the only customer who is running Typo3 at
that hoster. In fact, there are many Typo3-installations being hosted.

On the T3-mailinglist there are other users having the same restriction
on their servers (see http://forum.typo3.org/index.php/t/204064/ e.g.)
so that I still want to discuss if the install-tool could be more
liberal. Updating the core manually is not a big issue, but an automatic
update would be even easier and more comfortable. Typo3 could issue a
warning (not an error) if index.php is a file instead of a symlink and
allow the automatic update in both cases. Are there any impacts on this
possible solution?

Jan