[TYPO3-dev] EXT Extension uploader (extension_uploader) - no upload to TER

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Wed Sep 18 20:32:30 CEST 2013

Hi Christian,

On 18.09.13 15:32, Christian Zenker wrote:

> The extensions are not deprecated. The TYPO3 Core version is.

The whole idea of the TER cleanup is, that extensions are by definition
deprecated (outdated) when they are not suppored by a current TYPO3
version.

In fact by deprecating certain TYPO3 Core versions, how can an extension
not be deprecated by definition as it requires a TYPO3 Core version we
suggest not to use any more? Extensions are not standalone, but in fact
extending the core.

> And this is an important difference.

I don't think so.

> You can't decide that an extension author is no
> longer "allowed" to support his own extension just because the CMS isn't.

We can't decide anything for anybody. There are (and there will always
be) people that are still using TYPO3 4.2 and according extensions.

But we can set up rules which we think make sense for the platform
(which is the TYPO3 Core and the TER) in total.

There is a broad consensus which TYPO3 versions are supported for what
amount of time. It has been decided that this support policy should be
reflected in the TER as it belongs to the platform.

So, if there is a need for extension authors to upload extensions for
deprecated TYPO3 versions in one year, we need to acknoledge that there
is still a need for these TYPO3 versions which should result in longer
support for these versions.

Am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Helmut