[TYPO3-dev] EXT Extension uploader (extension_uploader) - no upload to TER

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Sep 18 16:22:06 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 18-9-2013 15:32, Christian Zenker wrote:
>> so why would you allow people to allow a fix for, say TYPO3 4.2?
>
> It's not about that - I have to admit this is not an issue *yet*. But
> once the TYPO3 4 branch will officially be no longer supported in a year
> the cut will be a lot larger.

So, you (or someone else) are afraid of the number of extensions in TER?
It was actually a complaint from the community that there are so many
extensions and most of them do not work with any supported version of TYPO3.

>> [extension authors] should take the opportunity to publish a fix for an
>> official version of TYPO3.
>
> Well in an ideal world this might work. Then everyone would have
> migrated their TYPO3 4.x projects to 6.2. But reality shows that this is
> usually not the case.

They have a year to do that. If an installation is not migrated by then
the owner certainly isn't too interested in keeping anything up-to-date.
Why should TER offer extensions for that installation?

> Let's take an example:
> In one year, why would you expect anyone to make DAM compatible with
> TYPO3 6.0 just so that a small bugfix for an officially(!) no longer
> supported TYPO3 version can be delivered?

I don't expect any bugfixes for DAM to appear by then.

> An extension author would either complain and annoy some people or -
> even worse - just set the supported TYPO3 version to 6.2 without testing
> just that he is able to ship a bugfixed version.

Someone could do that, but should expect a lot of bug reports and if
feedback is implemented by then that will show a lot of people who
report problems.

> Just to emphasize: This is not about what extensions are displayed. This
> is only about what extensions can be uploaded!

Exactly! And that is what should be prevented in the first place.

> Still, you would not see extensions in TER that only work on the version
> 4 branch after TYPO3 6.2 has been released. And still the Extension
> Manager will only show extensions that are supposed to run with your
> installation.

That doesn't work (yet) in the EM, simply because there isn't enough
data yet. And the extensions that don't work with any maintained branch
will be marked as "outdated" and not show up in the Extension Manager at
all.

>> We don't want extension authors to upload new versions that are still
>> deprecated
>
> The extensions are not deprecated. The TYPO3 Core version is. And this
> is an important difference. You can't decide that an extension author is
> no longer "allowed" to support his own extension just because the CMS
> isn't.

The extension is in that case "outdated" and will be labelled as such
for that reason.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor