[TYPO3-dev] EXT Extension uploader (extension_uploader) - no upload to TER

Christian Zenker typo3 at xopn.de
Wed Sep 18 15:32:29 CEST 2013

Hi Xavier.

> so why would you allow people to allow a fix for, say TYPO3 4.2?

It's not about that - I have to admit this is not an issue *yet*. But once
the TYPO3 4 branch will officially be no longer supported in a year the
cut will be a lot larger.

> [extension authors] should take the opportunity to publish a fix for an
> official version of TYPO3.

Well in an ideal world this might work. Then everyone would have migrated
their TYPO3 4.x projects to 6.2. But reality shows that this is usually
not the case.

Let's take an example:
In one year, why would you expect anyone to make DAM compatible with TYPO3
6.0 just so that a small bugfix for an officially(!) no longer supported
TYPO3 version can be delivered?

An extension author would either complain and annoy some people or - even
worse - just set the supported TYPO3 version to 6.2 without testing just
that he is able to ship a bugfixed version.

Just to emphasize: This is not about what extensions are displayed. This
is only about what extensions can be uploaded!
Still, you would not see extensions in TER that only work on the version 4
branch after TYPO3 6.2 has been released. And still the Extension Manager
will only show extensions that are supposed to run with your installation.

> We don't want extension authors to upload new versions that are still
> deprecated

The extensions are not deprecated. The TYPO3 Core version is. And this is
an important difference. You can't decide that an extension author is no
longer "allowed" to support his own extension just because the CMS isn't.

Best regards.
Christian.