[TYPO3-dev] Voting + sponsoring of bug-fixing in Forge

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Fri Sep 6 22:04:36 CEST 2013

Hi Michael,

thanks for bringing that into our attention. Georg and Jigal already
gave you good answers. Just one more ideas thrown in:

There are no strict rules and the voting is just an indicator but not a
guarantee that someone will actually take a look at it - as you have
noted. What you can always do is to bring certain bugs into a more
broader attention by writing to:

a) the core list (typo3.teams.core)
b) the current release manager (myself) or the core team leader (Olly Hader)

We usually know what the priorities are at the moment and who could or
should work on that. If you are interested in sponsoring "someone" to
actually fix a bug (or add a feature), just mention that in your mail to
us and we can then see how we can make a match (i.e. by asking the
active contributors if there is interest).

After all, fixing a bug is more than a "one-man-thing", because it
requires one person to fix the bug and at least two others to review the
changes. Meaning that if you are sponsoring, it might be handy to gather
a "3-man-team" around it (which is not so easy depending on the context
of the change).

Another added complexity that by looking at a bug report its usually not
easy (and usually even impossible) to estimate the amount time that will
be required to fix it. So getting €100 sponsored but having then to work
for two weeks on it doesn't make sense. Which is also why "sponsoring
bug fixes" usually doesn't work so easily. :)

Please be aware that this particular bug is very important and I
personally want also that it gets fixed for at least the release of 6.2
LTS (see http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3cms-v62/wiki/Issues for a
list of other "important issues").

Kind regards,
Ernesto