[TYPO3-dev] Voting + sponsoring of bug-fixing in Forge

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Sep 6 11:17:53 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 6-9-2013 10:40, Michael Bakonyi wrote:
> First I wonder if the voting-feature within forge is taken into account
> regarding the priority of bug-fixing issues. How do you
> (core-)deveolpers decide which bugs are worth fixing and why?

Yes, some take the votes into account (looking at the most votes bugs
and features from time to time). Most developers fix bugs in areas of
the core they are familiar with, bugs which get some attention somewhere
(lists, forum, twitter, etc.), bugs marked by a Release Manager, bugs in
areas they are working on, bugs they pick up when they are friendly
ghost, bugs which the friendly ghost brings to their attention, etc.

> As example there's a bug posted 6 months ago with 21 votes:
>
> http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45859
>
> which didn't get fixed until now.

The problem with this particular bug is that Benni assigned it to
himself. This is a sign that he is working on it and other devs will not
likely work on the same issue (there are plenty of bugs/features which
are not yet assigned).
In this particular case it's best to contact Benni and ask him if he has
a solution or wants to unassign himself. If this doesn't work out, there
is a typo3.teams.bugs list to ask for an issue to be updated (remove
assignment, close, etc.)

> Second I wonder if it's worth thinking about implementing a
> bug-sponsoring-feature within forge.

It's not about money for all devs. Some are free-lancers and for them it
might work, but others work for a company/organisation and work on TYPO3
in their spare time.
We've had such a feature in the old bugtracker, but there were plenty of
problems with people actually getting paid if they fixed an issue which
had a sponsoring amount attached to it.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor