[TYPO3-dev] Voting + sponsoring of bug-fixing in Forge

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Fri Sep 6 10:55:16 CEST 2013

Hi Micheal,

Am 06.09.2013 10:40, schrieb Michael Bakonyi:
> First I wonder if the voting-feature within forge is taken into account
> regarding the priority of bug-fixing issues. How do you
> (core-)deveolpers decide which bugs are worth fixing and why?

there are many strategies how to find the issue you want to solve:
- because it bugs you/your company
- because you got e.g. 2h time and wanna finish the work with a working
patch
- because you know this area well
- ...

> As example there's a bug posted 6 months ago with 21 votes:
> http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45859

the vote is certainly helpful to identify bugs which are highly welcomed
by the users but there is no strict rule that this issue must be fixed
as next one.

So the answer could be something like: It certainly helps if people vote
but it is still not a guarantee.

> Second I wonder if it's worth thinking about implementing a
> bug-sponsoring-feature within forge.

This was in mantis available but not often used because just because
someone says with an anonymous user "I will pay 100€" won't mean that
the developer get its money.

If you got money for fixing something, just announce it in the
mailinglist, and make a deal with a developer yourself. This is the best
way!
If you can't afford the fix alone, collect the money first and then
approach a dev. This makes it easier for everybody. At least I handle it
that way (both ways as getting paid and paying others).

> Maybe it's against the spirit of
> TYPO3 paying for development

certainly not ;)

Georg