[TYPO3-dev] Voting + sponsoring of bug-fixing in Forge

Michael Bakonyi kontakt at mb-neuemedien.de
Fri Sep 6 10:40:30 CEST 2013

Hi,

before I aks my questions beyond I'd like to point out, that I don't
want to offend anybody of you devs investing a lot of (often unpayed)
time in bringing TYPO3 forward. Although I work with TYPO3 for some
years know as an integrator I'd just like know the inner processes of
the TYPO3-community regarding development. Until now I didn't find any
docs about them. So:

First I wonder if the voting-feature within forge is taken into account
regarding the priority of bug-fixing issues. How do you
(core-)deveolpers decide which bugs are worth fixing and why?

As example there's a bug posted 6 months ago with 21 votes:

http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45859

which didn't get fixed until now. To strengthen the spirit of community
I think it would make sense to take the votings into account to a
greater extent. Then (as a non-developer) one has the feeling that my
voice is heared.

Second I wonder if it's worth thinking about implementing a
bug-sponsoring-feature within forge. Maybe there's a functionality
within forge already, which could get activated. If you think it's worth
it, I could research that. We had that kind of "feature" within the old
bugtracker in Mantis. In Forge regarding some bugs I offered sponsoring
of bugfixings within the comments of an issue but never got asked to
sponsor it and I always wondered why. Maybe it's against the spirit of
TYPO3 paying for development but I don't think so. Everyone has to live
with ugly money ... But maybe sponsoring would be accepted to a greater
extent, if there was a feature where several people could "throw
together" some money if one dev says "I'll do it but I need X EUR for it")?

Would be glad to hear some thoughts from you.

Cheers,
Michael