[TYPO3-dev] Status of "devlog" extension

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Jun 16 22:15:03 CEST 2013

Hi Georg,

> Sorry for the radio silence, was busy with something else, but now I'm
> back in the TYPO3 track.

We all are sidetracked at various points in time :-)

> Firstly, the devlog is a writer for the new Logging API, listening to
> messages @DEBUG and upwards (or downwards as in this case). It also
> comes with a two additional processors for data about logged in users
> and the complete stack trace if the call. This is preconfigured to make
> logging devlogging work right away without any additional configuration.

It looks really good, thanks!

> The reasons for not using extbase:
>
> 1. We may (or most likely) want to log stuff before extbase is ready
> 2. We want to log stuff even if extbase fails for some reason (wrong
> configs, ...)

That sounds reasonable.

> @Francois: I agree with Steffen, that "devlogging" is not something
> entirely different, but simply the same, only much more verbose and
> detailed logging than in a production environment, hence the debug
> writer. Just debug everything you need and in a production environment
> you only get warnings etc. Switch to a dev environment and the very same
> code outputs much more information.

OK, I can live with such a reasoning.

> @Steffen: I'm happy to help out. Applied for membership and reading the
> tasks and stories right now.

Indeed, with the work you just did I think we can get "devlogging" right
into the Core, with little extra effort. The main challenge now will be
to make a really cool BE module to view the log entries.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch