[TYPO3-dev] Status of "devlog" extension

Georg Grossberger contact at grossberger-ge.org
Sat Jun 15 14:13:41 CEST 2013

Hi

Sorry for the radio silence, was busy with something else, but now I'm
back in the TYPO3 track.

I did some catch up on the discussions here and converted it into a few
patches, available at [1].

Firstly, the devlog is a writer for the new Logging API, listening to
messages @DEBUG and upwards (or downwards as in this case). It also
comes with a two additional processors for data about logged in users
and the complete stack trace if the call. This is preconfigured to make
logging devlogging work right away without any additional configuration.

The second change is, that it uses a domain model now, at least some
kind of. It is NOT an extbase model, but using its own approach. This is
currently more like a hack than a clean implementation, but currently
its just a proof-of-concept anyways.

The reasons for not using extbase:

1. We may (or most likely) want to log stuff before extbase is ready
2. We want to log stuff even if extbase fails for some reason (wrong
configs, ...)

@Francois: I agree with Steffen, that "devlogging" is not something
entirely different, but simply the same, only much more verbose and
detailed logging than in a production environment, hence the debug
writer. Just debug everything you need and in a production environment
you only get warnings etc. Switch to a dev environment and the very same
code outputs much more information.

@Steffen: I'm happy to help out. Applied for membership and reading the
tasks and stories right now.

Regards,