[TYPO3-dev] Status of "devlog" extension

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Jun 6 11:24:19 CEST 2013

Hi,

>> I wonder how you define devlogging and syslogging? what makes the
>> difference?
>
> For me "syslogging" is about what happens in the system, what we can see
> in the current Log module in the TYPO3 BE: users logging in and out,
> records being modified, extensions installed or removed, DB errors, etc.
> I will generally want to keep this information at least for a few months.
>
> "devlogging" is really about development: possibly a lot of messages
> indicating both success and error, outputting generally quite a bit of
> related data. This data has no value over time, the table can be cleaned
> as often as needed to avoid growing too large.

I like the idea of not separating the two ways of logging, syslogging
and devlogging should be "the same" from the POV of a developer and then
should be able to be redirected differently.

See for idea: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/

In my code I'd like to write code such as

Logger.log('whatever', TYPE::DEBUG);
Logger.log('whatever', TYPE::INFO);
Logger.log('whatever', TYPE::WARNING);

and then (by default) throw = not log all TYPE::DEBUG messages and be
able to configure debug messages to go to another table/file/... if
needed, most probably together with other levels as well:

	- (Default to be defined): everything except DEBUG into syslog
	- if debug activate: everything including DEBUG wherever we want (in
addition to standard syslog)

> Sounds like we can achieve pretty much what we want. Can't speak for
> Xavier, though ;-)

My idea to go one step further but perhaps is not absolutely needed,
would be this (advanced) use case:

- configure a logger for method/controller of extension X as DEBUG
- whatever happens until the end of the end of the method call (not
possible without AOP) or until the end of the request (easy), in
whichever part of the code including Core, should be logged.

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6