[TYPO3-dev] Status of "devlog" extension

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Jun 6 11:15:14 CEST 2013

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your answers.

> yes, handling loggers in a different way is possible, for example by
> configuring a dedicated logWriter a certain loggers, identified by name
> (see example below).

Good. That's what I seemed to remember when I reviewed the
documentation, but I preferred to be sure.

> I wonder how you define devlogging and syslogging? what makes the
> difference?

For me "syslogging" is about what happens in the system, what we can see
in the current Log module in the TYPO3 BE: users logging in and out,
records being modified, extensions installed or removed, DB errors, etc.
I will generally want to keep this information at least for a few months.

"devlogging" is really about development: possibly a lot of messages
indicating both success and error, outputting generally quite a bit of
related data. This data has no value over time, the table can be cleaned
as often as needed to avoid growing too large.

Does that make sense?

> You canconfigure the behaviour of the log calls of this  particular
> class inside of
> [snip]
> Since all classes should be treated equal in case of deprecation
> logging, this makes sense here

Sounds like we can achieve pretty much what we want. Can't speak for
Xavier, though ;-)

> Anyone of you at the TYPO3camp Stuttgart next weekend? I'm planning to
> give an introduction to the Logging API.

Not me, at least.

Georg, I suppose you're following this discussion ;-) ? How about making
a try writing a logger that writes to the tx_devlog table (BTW we should
take this opportunity to rename it in Extbase style)? Obviously the
devlog hook must be changed to call that Logger. Would you give this a try?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter