[TYPO3-dev] Fluid - or WATE

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Jan 11 15:45:44 CET 2013

Hi,

On 11-1-2013 16:08, Bernhard Kraft wrote:
> I know that fluid is around for some years now. I always just moarn
> about WATE.
>
>> Smarty isn't that nice codewise (I have read that never versions
>> nowadays are better...) other templating engines had other shortcomings...
>
> Recently I read Smarty is very fast compared to other engines... looking
> it up ... found it:
>
> http://umumble.com/blogs/php/249/

Funny, this compares Smarty with Twig. Twig is a template engine written
by the authors of Symfony. The same question is of course true for Twig:
why didn't they use / expand / improve Smarty?

In general the answer is that at the moment you need a solution you look
around for an existing solution which fits your needs. If nothing exists
the easiest solution is to create your own.
It's harder to fix, expand and improve existing products, especially if
you want those improvements included in that product instead of forking it.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!