[TYPO3-dev] Fluid - or WATE

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at think-open.at
Fri Jan 11 16:08:40 CET 2013

Hello !

On 01/09/2013 10:36 AM, Christian Müller wrote:

> This is not just for 6 and Neos, Fluid is quite old by now and was
> available in TYPO3 since quite some time along with Extbase.

I know that fluid is around for some years now. I always just moarn
about WATE.

> Smarty isn't that nice codewise (I have read that never versions
> nowadays are better...) other templating engines had other shortcomings...

Recently I read Smarty is very fast compared to other engines... looking
it up ... found it:

http://umumble.com/blogs/php/249/

> I have worked with XSLT, Smarty and other templating engines and
> compared to them found Fluid to be a very straight forward and easy way
> to create templates.

It's just that XSLT is some established standard. I moarned 3 years ago
when fluid was to become the new templating engine and I moarn now. I
suggested to contact the developers of Smarty and/or another templating
engine to have their engine intergrated into TYPO3.

It's like in a big family: I suggested a wedding. But it was rather
decided to simply give birth to a new child. My objections are, that the
parents (we TYPO3 developers) can't take care about all those childs.
Some of them will have to hunger :(

Believe me. I learned from my bunch of extensions. I can't support,
update and fix bugs for all of them.

Probably the developers of other templating engines have been contacted
- they disagreed to a "marriage" and thus a new templating engine was
created at shorthand at those times. Maybe those developers would have
needed to have more time thinking about our suggestions.

I could also compare it to the following: Someone is simply not fine
with all the weird namespaces in v6 and decided to fork TYPO3. This is
something Kasper never wanted. His speak was: A patch a day keeps the
fork away. But hey: I guess sending in patches about "remove senseless
namespacing" wont make me friends :(

BTW: This discussion is in general more about recent ways in the TYPO3
development. Not about flow as the black sheep especially. I have been
away from TYPO3 events for some while - I think I am also not entitled
to have anything to decide about TYPO3 development. I am just ranting.

Sorry ...

greetings,
Bernhard