[TYPO3-dev] Fluid - or WATE

Christian Müller christian.mueller at typo3.org
Wed Jan 9 10:36:41 CET 2013

Hi,

On 09/01/13 10:23, Bernhard Kraft wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know what the reasons have been that for v6 and NEOS
> the decision has been made to create a complete new templating engine:
> Fluid. Just another thing one has to learn.
This is not just for 6 and Neos, Fluid is quite old by now and was
available in TYPO3 since quite some time along with Extbase.

> I always wondered why they didn't use "smarty". Or recently I did a
> lot with XSLT and noticed it is quite not that difficult as it
> sometimes is said. In fact it is quite simple if one knows about XPath.
Smarty isn't that nice codewise (I have read that never versions
nowadays are better...) other templating engines had other shortcomings...

> So a better solution than having a complete new templating engine
> could have been to use XSLT files as templates and let the content get
> generated as XML. Then a simple call to some XSLT processor could make
> the step: XML --> XSLT --> XML/HTML/Text.
I think this indirect approach would have been a challenge for many. A
templating engine should allow non PHP frontend developers to work with
it. And XML -> XSLT can get pretty complicated as well as first writing
a desired markup and then creating a XSLT to get the result from some
XML data set.

I have worked with XSLT, Smarty and other templating engines and
compared to them found Fluid to be a very straight forward and easy way
to create templates.

> greetings,
> Bernhard
Cheers,