[TYPO3-dev] Which Version to choose starting developing plugins?

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Mon Dec 2 17:19:11 CET 2013

Am 02.12.13 14:57, schrieb Mirko Steiner:
> Hi,
>
> i'm completly fresh to typo3 development but i'm an experienced PHP
> Developer.
>
> I downloaded the latest version of Typo3 (6.1.6) but the documentation
> an extensions are not working with this version perfectly.

propably you got a version mix from documentations and sources

beeing new with TYPO3 you may not know the great change TYPO3 is doing
at the moment.
until last year the running versions were 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 . where 4.5 is a LTS
then a big version break came with 6.0, followed by version 6.1 with
minor changes. in the near future (march 2014) is 6.2 with further
changes as it will be the next LTS wich will replace 4.5

with 6.0 were introduced namespaces and a big restructuring of the code
appeared, which breaks a lot of extensions.

so having old documentation and / or old extensions will stop your
installation and stop you from developing.

beginning with 4.3 there existed 'extbase' as new framework/library for
a MVC-based development and so existed some docuementation how to build
extensions. But 'extbase' changed for each version. sometimes less,
sometimes more, resulting in 'extbase 6.1' which is not the same as 6.0
or any earlier 'extbase'.
and until now no book or document exist which will guide you with this
version of extbase.
The only available docuemantation is the source (or the api-description
at api.typo3.org)

and so you can still build up pibase extensions (old style since ever)
you have to respect the new namespace pathes to the functions to let
your extension run smoothly. and you don't have the Kickstarter which
was a good startup example for pibased extensions.

the ExtensionBuilder will give you a wireframe for extbase-extensions,
but still misses a lot of features of teh old kickstarter.

so it is not easy to start with TYPO3 extension development at the
moment. But you may ask the community for specific problems and get good
help (or you consult the newsgroup/forum)

> We planning to relaunch our website and currently typo3 seems to be the
> best candidate. I want to develop a few plugins for the company i'm
> working.
>
> So the question for me is, which version to choose.

6.1 will be the best solution at the moment,
you may use a 6.2beta, but as you are new to TYPO3 this might be more
problematic.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html