[TYPO3-dev] Which Version to choose starting developing plugins?

Gianluca Strafella gianluca.strafella at webformat.com
Wed Dec 4 14:14:15 CET 2013

Hi Mirko,
Il 02/12/2013 17:19, bernd wilke ha scritto:
> Am 02.12.13 14:57, schrieb Mirko Steiner:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm completly fresh to typo3 development but i'm an experienced PHP
>> Developer.
>>
>> I downloaded the latest version of Typo3 (6.1.6) but the documentation
>> an extensions are not working with this version perfectly.
>
> propably you got a version mix from documentations and sources
>
> beeing new with TYPO3 you may not know the great change TYPO3 is doing
> at the moment.
> until last year the running versions were 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 . where 4.5 is a
> LTS
> then a big version break came with 6.0, followed by version 6.1 with
> minor changes. in the near future (march 2014) is 6.2 with further
> changes as it will be the next LTS wich will replace 4.5
>
> with 6.0 were introduced namespaces and a big restructuring of the code
> appeared, which breaks a lot of extensions.
>
> so having old documentation and / or old extensions will stop your
> installation and stop you from developing.
>
> beginning with 4.3 there existed 'extbase' as new framework/library for
> a MVC-based development and so existed some docuementation how to build
> extensions. But 'extbase' changed for each version. sometimes less,
> sometimes more, resulting in 'extbase 6.1' which is not the same as 6.0
> or any earlier 'extbase'.
> and until now no book or document exist which will guide you with this
> version of extbase.
> The only available docuemantation is the source (or the api-description
> at api.typo3.org)

You can start by http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/ExtbaseFluidBook/ to
know exbase. This book is written starting by extbase to TYPO3 4.5 LTS,
but it can be useful also for TYPO3 6.x that use namespaces.

> and so you can still build up pibase extensions (old style since ever)
> you have to respect the new namespace pathes to the functions to let
> your extension run smoothly. and you don't have the Kickstarter which
> was a good startup example for pibased extensions.
>
> the ExtensionBuilder will give you a wireframe for extbase-extensions,
> but still misses a lot of features of teh old kickstarter.
>
> so it is not easy to start with TYPO3 extension development at the
> moment. But you may ask the community for specific problems and get good
> help (or you consult the newsgroup/forum)
>

>> We planning to relaunch our website and currently typo3 seems to be the
>> best candidate. I want to develop a few plugins for the company i'm
>> working.
>>
>> So the question for me is, which version to choose.
>
> 6.1 will be the best solution at the moment,
> you may use a 6.2beta, but as you are new to TYPO3 this might be more
> problematic.
>
> bernd

Other useful links can be:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-mvc/wiki/Cookbook
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-mvc/wiki/FAQ

but I raccomand you, start by ExtbaseFluidBook.

Regards,
Gianluca

Gianluca Strafella

Software Developer
gianluca.strafella at webformat.com
Tel.   +39-0427-926.389

WEBFORMAT srl – www.webformat.com
Via Mecenate, 76 - 20138 MILANO
Corte Europa, 12 - 33097 SPILIMBERGO (PN)