[TYPO3-dev] Give +1 for the Extension Feedback Process

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Tue Apr 30 10:25:37 CEST 2013

Hello Jigal,

the wordpress guys, bind the votes to version number, but combine them
somehow e.g. 5.6.3 and 5.6.2 are calculated in a way, so that the
numbers from 5.6.2 go into 5.6.3 until 5.6.3 itself has enough votes to
show usefull information.

I think this can be a good indicator for working extension.
Beside this i ALSO would like to have the enforcement, that developers
need to set version numbers in ext_emconf :D

Regards
Kay

Am 30.04.13 08:40, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,
>
> On 29-4-2013 21:23, Elmar Hinz wrote:
>> I share your concerns, but if I get the feedback 66/88 for the
>> current versions, than I am already lucky as a develper.
>>
>> Then I know, that people use my work and that a majority of them get it
>> runnig.
>> If the new version suddenly displays 8/44 then I know that something is
>> broken.
>
> If it's only for feedback for the developer then the data is of very
> limited use. I doubt if it's worth the effort.
>
>> The inteligent user of the extension can also interpret the numbers.
>>
>> Solid statistical data we only get for a dozen extensions like news,
>> tt_news, etc.
>> But that would already justify to sort them automatically on top of the
>> others.
>
> Many people have asked to filter extensions (both in EM as in TER) that
> work for their current TYPO3 version. Using this feedback for that
> purpose is quite hard.
> If you just released a new version of your extension then there is no
> feedback. If you sort the result based also on feedback the extension
> will suddenly drop in that list. You could use the votes of a previous
> version, if it's only a bugfix release and the new version doesn't have
> enough votes for a valid judgement and the previous version does have
> enough votes.
> As you see things can get pretty complicated.
>
> It's quite hard to interpret the numbers, also for an integrator.
>
> So, if it's only about showing the raw data for the extension author and
> others who think they can interpret it:
> -1 (just an opinion, not blocking anything)

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

Answer was useful - feel free to donate:
  -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KPM9NAV73VDF2
  - https://flattr.com/profile/kaystrobach