[TYPO3-dev] Give +1 for the Extension Feedback Process

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Apr 30 08:40:11 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 29-4-2013 21:23, Elmar Hinz wrote:
> I share your concerns, but if I get the feedback 66/88 for the
> current versions, than I am already lucky as a develper.
>
> Then I know, that people use my work and that a majority of them get it
> runnig.
> If the new version suddenly displays 8/44 then I know that something is
> broken.

If it's only for feedback for the developer then the data is of very
limited use. I doubt if it's worth the effort.

> The inteligent user of the extension can also interpret the numbers.
>
> Solid statistical data we only get for a dozen extensions like news,
> tt_news, etc.
> But that would already justify to sort them automatically on top of the
> others.

Many people have asked to filter extensions (both in EM as in TER) that
work for their current TYPO3 version. Using this feedback for that
purpose is quite hard.
If you just released a new version of your extension then there is no
feedback. If you sort the result based also on feedback the extension
will suddenly drop in that list. You could use the votes of a previous
version, if it's only a bugfix release and the new version doesn't have
enough votes for a valid judgement and the previous version does have
enough votes.
As you see things can get pretty complicated.

It's quite hard to interpret the numbers, also for an integrator.

So, if it's only about showing the raw data for the extension author and
others who think they can interpret it:
-1 (just an opinion, not blocking anything)

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!