[TYPO3-dev] phpStorm - inline comments moved by one tab after code line

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu May 3 07:05:32 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 3-5-2012 4:57, Adrien Crivelli wrote:
> I understand the aim to "distinguish comments from code", but honestly I am
> really not fond of it. I find it breaks the visual layouts (blocks
[...]
> I really don't buy the "people work all day-long with extremely low-quality
> editor" arguments.

I see that you are passionate about code :-)

For me the main value of the formatting rules in the coding guidelines
is that the code of all developers has the same layout. Whether I
personally like all the rules or not is not important; the code of each
and every developer looks the same and that increases the readability
(even if you need to get used to it in the beginning).

I use automatic formatting a lot and adjust the code afterwards
manually. There are more areas where IDEs cannot automatically format
our code (array definitions, function calls with long lists of
parameters, etc.).

Of course there are "old" parts of the core which are not completely
following the coding guidelines. Our policy is that when a function is
modified the formatting of the entire function should be adjusted. If
you feel like formatting these old functions, go ahead and push a change
to gerrit!

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member