[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Jul 25 11:23:40 CEST 2011

On 25.07.11 10:14, François Suter wrote:
> Hi Jigal,
>
>> Activity in both bug days and development has decrease a lot since the
>> introduction of git/gerrit. Causation is hard to prove, but it is so far
>> the only explanation which can be found...
>
> I'm sorry but I disagree here, at least as far as Bug Days are
> concerned. I've been handling the Bug Days for more than a year and a
> half and we had attendance problems at various intervals. The switch to
> Git/Gerrit might be a cause for lower attendance, but it's certainly not
> the only one.

Thanks for this statement. I must say that I'm really getting pissed
while reading all these mails. Already last year, bug days were
cancelled. There was no Git back then! It's all just a matter of
interest. If sb. doesn't want to learn sth. new and strictly refuses,
well, we can't help. We're web developers. As the web evolves, new
techniques and tools come up.

Regarding the bug days: As long as there's no great new concept as
replacement established,  I endorse to just continue. There have been
always a *few* people around. If sb. is interested, we can point him to
these days, where he gets unbureaucratically supported. I see them more
as an opportunity towards new contributors.

IMHO it doesn't matter, how it is called and how often it takes place.
 From our core team (or active contributors) point of view, it's all
just a matter of personal interest. If one is not interested, he will
not participate (see last weeks first public development meeting). You
can't force anybody. I think, different frequency or name will not
change much (maybe except for the first 1-3 exciting events..).

My only real suggestion is to move to Big blue button conference server.
It's (IMHO) easier to join there for the first time, than some
old-school IRC (we got rid of mailing list, so we're 21st century now,
aren't we ;)).

Kind regards
Steffen

--