[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Jul 25 10:14:53 CEST 2011

Hi Jigal,

> Activity in both bug days and development has decrease a lot since the
> introduction of git/gerrit. Causation is hard to prove, but it is so far
> the only explanation which can be found...

I'm sorry but I disagree here, at least as far as Bug Days are
concerned. I've been handling the Bug Days for more than a year and a
half and we had attendance problems at various intervals. The switch to
Git/Gerrit might be a cause for lower attendance, but it's certainly not
the only one.

IMO the main culprit is the routine aspect. Every time there was
something new (meeting places, pledges by Core Team members, etc.), the
Bug Days saw renewed activity, which dropped again within 3 months.
Which is why I think we need a different concept altogether, one which
is maybe less vulnerable to the "repetition effect", although we
probably can't avoid it.

More generally some good ideas have been floated already. I'm waiting a
bit more before doing a kind of summary/second round of discussion.
Hopefully some more people will express their expectations and frustrations.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter