[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 25 13:12:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 25-7-2011 11:23, Steffen Gebert wrote:
> Thanks for this statement. I must say that I'm really getting pissed
> while reading all these mails. Already last year, bug days were
> cancelled. There was no Git back then! It's all just a matter of
> interest. If sb. doesn't want to learn sth. new and strictly refuses,
> well, we can't help. We're web developers. As the web evolves, new
> techniques and tools come up.

I don't know why you feel so personal about this. It's simply a matter
of trying to find the cause of things which are happening.
If you buy a new washing machine and cloths start looking brownish you
start investigating the washing machine. It could be that there is
something wrong with the water you use and that both the arrival of the
new washing machine and the water problem happened around the same time.
It's only logical to start with the things which have changed recently.

This thread was meant as a brain storm session and no ideas should be
attacked. Ideas are just as valuable as trying to find the cause. So, if
you propose that we should find a sponsor for a beer for each solved bug
could help bugfixing then that idea should not be attacked by people who
don't like beer.

> Regarding the bug days: As long as there's no great new concept as
> replacement established, I endorse to just continue. There have been
> always a *few* people around.

Agreed. It won't hurt to continue for the time being, even without the
reports, etc. Announcements can be done by someone else if François
won't be available.

> IMHO it doesn't matter, how it is called and how often it takes place.
>  From our core team (or active contributors) point of view, it's all
> just a matter of personal interest. If one is not interested, he will
> not participate (see last weeks first public development meeting). You
> can't force anybody.

It's not only a matter of interest. Those who are self-employed or work
for a company which like to support the community have more
opportunities to rearrange their time and participate.

> My only real suggestion is to move to Big blue button conference server.

Good one. It could indeed be easier to join.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.