[TYPO3-dev] TCA and l10n_mode

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 21 12:45:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 21-7-2011 11:53, Lim Chivy wrote:
> I have different language of my extension records. I need a field which
> display the same data in all languages in the Frontend. I try using
> "l10n_mode" in the TCA, but it does not match with my requirement. If
> use the "l10n_mode = mergeIfNotBlank", will shows different data when
> this field modify in other languages. I would appreciate it if you help
> me how to make this field the same data following the last modify
> language records (not the default language)

As far as I know there is no l10n_mode which will have such effect.

> e.g.
> BirthDay of person field is the same data in all languages, If we modify
> this field in another language, we get the data data in all languages.

Birthday is not a field which is included in the TYPO3 core (e.g. in
fe_users), so if it is present in your installation it must have been
added by an extension.

If you mean that you want to add the birthday field with the behaviour
you describe above, then I don't think you can do this.

For a field which can't really be translated (such as a birth date), I
would personally set:
l10n_mode : exclude ( do not translate this)
l10n_display : defaultAsReadOnly ( show field as read only in translated
records)
This way translators see the field data, but can't change it. This is
the most logical for such a field.

The behaviour you describe can lead to very strange situations:

Default language birth date: 1-Aug-1980
German translator changes it to 1-Sep-1980, so this will be shown in all
languages.
French translator changes it to 1-Nov-1980, so this will be shown in all
languages.
Now German translator updates other field and again 1-Sep-1980 will be
shown in *all* languages.
Very confusing and hard to trace where the data comes from...

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.