[TYPO3-dev] TCA and l10n_mode

Lim Chivy chivy at web-essentials.asia
Fri Jul 22 05:44:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 7/21/2011 5:45 PM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21-7-2011 11:53, Lim Chivy wrote:
>> I have different language of my extension records. I need a field which
>> display the same data in all languages in the Frontend. I try using
>> "l10n_mode" in the TCA, but it does not match with my requirement. If
>> use the "l10n_mode = mergeIfNotBlank", will shows different data when
>> this field modify in other languages. I would appreciate it if you help
>> me how to make this field the same data following the last modify
>> language records (not the default language)
>
> As far as I know there is no l10n_mode which will have such effect.
>
>> e.g.
>> BirthDay of person field is the same data in all languages, If we modify
>> this field in another language, we get the data data in all languages.
>
> Birthday is not a field which is included in the TYPO3 core (e.g. in
> fe_users), so if it is present in your installation it must have been
> added by an extension.
>
> If you mean that you want to add the birthday field with the behaviour
> you describe above, then I don't think you can do this.
>
> For a field which can't really be translated (such as a birth date), I
> would personally set:
> l10n_mode : exclude ( do not translate this)
> l10n_display : defaultAsReadOnly ( show field as read only in translated
> records)
> This way translators see the field data, but can't change it. This is
> the most logical for such a field.
It is a good idea, but it does not make sense to the translate user why
do they need to switch back to the default language record to change
that fields.

> The behaviour you describe can lead to very strange situations:
>
> Default language birth date: 1-Aug-1980
> German translator changes it to 1-Sep-1980, so this will be shown in all
> languages.
> French translator changes it to 1-Nov-1980, so this will be shown in all
> languages.
> Now German translator updates other field and again 1-Sep-1980 will be
> shown in *all* languages.
> Very confusing and hard to trace where the data comes from...

, all the different language users can change that fields which without
witch to the default language record.

Could it be possible if I will use the TCE hook? When the record change,
it will update all fields in other languages. Do you have any suggestion
to solve it?

Thanks,
Chivy