[TYPO3-dev] getRecordOverlay vs getPageOverlay

Oliver Salzburg kinggencha at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 22 19:02:58 CEST 2011

Hey guys,

I was running into some trouble with the extension tt_news.
Basically, it failed to retrieve certain content in anything but the
default language.
I tracked the issue down to a call to getRecordOverlay:

$row = $GLOBALS['TSFE']->sys_page->getRecordOverlay('pages', $row, $L,
$OLmode);

It's in class.tx_ttnews.php line 3759 if anyone is interested.

Retrieving the localized content will fail because
$TCA['pages']['ctrl']['languageField'] doesn't exist.

I changed the problematic call to this:

$row = $GLOBALS['TSFE']->sys_page->getPageOverlay($uid,$L);

Which resolves the issue for now. But I still don't really understand
why this happened. tt_news hasn't been updated in ages, so, was
getRecordOverlay for the pages table deprecated at some point?
Is my change even a viable fix? The documentation I found wasn't really
enlightening in those regards.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.