[TYPO3-dev] getRecordOverlay vs getPageOverlay

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Aug 23 09:57:28 CEST 2011

Hi Oliver,

> Which resolves the issue for now. But I still don't really understand
> why this happened. tt_news hasn't been updated in ages, so, was
> getRecordOverlay for the pages table deprecated at some point?
> Is my change even a viable fix? The documentation I found wasn't really
> enlightening in those regards.

I think you stumbled on a true bug. The difference between
getRecordOverlay and getPageOverlay is that getRecordOverlay works only
for tables which store both default language and translated records.
This is not the case for the pages table, whose translations are stored
in a different table (pages_language_overlay). Hence the different method.

If any method should be deprecated it's getPageOverlay. Contrary to the
comment found in getRecordOverlay it would not be difficult to implement
handling of foreign tables for translations in getRecordOverlay. It just
was never done.

You should still report the bug in the tt_news bug tracker. It's true
that it's not developed anymore at the moment (again), so I guess you
will just have to run your patched version.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter