[TYPO3-dev] Slow BE since 4.5.x

Mario Rimann typo3-coding at rimann.org
Thu Apr 21 22:46:48 CEST 2011

Hi Jigal

Am 21.04.11 08:56, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> It almost sounds like you are jumping to conclusions. The BE *feels*
> slower, the ugly frames have been replaced by ExtJS panels and somehow
> this leads to the conclusion that the latter must be the explanation for
> the perceived slowness...

Well, we've also measured the time the right panel needs to load
(Network module in Firebug AFAIR, my colleague did those tests) and
there's a measurable difference. I don't have the numbers at hand, but
it was something like 0.9-1.5s vs. >=3.5s.

That's why I wrote we have the feeling as I didn't have exact test
results at hand. And I thought it's more polite than just writing: "Hey
it's slow like broken, how could this have been released that way?".
That wouldn't have helped I guess...

> The loading mask indicates when the contents of that area is completely
> loaded. To me that is important information; I don't have to watch some
> progress bar or spinner icon in my browser to see when the entire page
> is loaded.
>
> On the other hand the loading mask may show which parts are actually
> the information was already visible (e.g. the list view with a lot of
> tables).

I never proposed to skip the loading mask at all. The only thing I said
was that there is an extension - and that the extension doesn't solve
the unerlying problem of the slowed down loading. If the right panel
(list view to be a bit more detailed) would load a bit faster, I could
happily live with the loading mask. (And if one could disable it if
he/she doesn't like that one that would be the prettiest solution)

> My impression is that there is not a single "issue" which result in the
> perceived slowness. As others in this thread indicated there are a few
> settings / features which could make some improvements, but in general
> this looks like a more complex situation. Some extensions may slow down
> the BE, maybe some core modules need to be profiled to see if they can
> be made faster, etc.

I agree - it's not just the ExtJS stuff. But I cannot prove or solve
that since I have no deeper insight in the core-code. That's why I asked
- no fingerpointing at all. I hope you didn't get me wrong!

Cheers,
Mario

--
Mario Rimann - Screenteam GmbH, Zürich
Freelancer / Contractor for TYPO3 support/implementation and extension