[TYPO3-dev] Slow BE since 4.5.x

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 21 08:56:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 20-4-2011 20:07, Mario Rimann wrote:
> We've the feeling that the BE in 4.5.x is way slower than it is in 4.4.x
> due to the new fancy JS stuff.

It almost sounds like you are jumping to conclusions. The BE *feels*
slower, the ugly frames have been replaced by ExtJS panels and somehow
this leads to the conclusion that the latter must be the explanation for
the perceived slowness...

> Especially loading the right column takes
> longer as it should. And we're not experiencing this only in huge
> installations, also smaller ones with just<200 pages.
(...)
> And there's even an extension that disables the spinning wheel loader image:

The loading mask indicates when the contents of that area is completely
loaded. To me that is important information; I don't have to watch some
progress bar or spinner icon in my browser to see when the entire page
is loaded.

On the other hand the loading mask may show which parts are actually
the information was already visible (e.g. the list view with a lot of
tables).

> Now the question is, what is needed to solve this issue?

My impression is that there is not a single "issue" which result in the
perceived slowness. As others in this thread indicated there are a few
settings / features which could make some improvements, but in general
this looks like a more complex situation. Some extensions may slow down
the BE, maybe some core modules need to be profiled to see if they can
be made faster, etc.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.