[TYPO3-dev] A proper way to give up an extension?

Franz Holzinger franz at ttproducts.de
Wed Sep 1 12:34:48 CEST 2010

Le 01/09/2010 11:10, Lina Wolf a écrit :
> Hello List,
>
> is there some way of communication if you want to give up the
> maintainance of an extension? I got the feeling that there are a lot of
> extensions lying around in the TER that are widely used but not
> maintained. Usually you develop such an extension for a certain project
> and then have no time to really maintain it unless you need it again.
>
> So I wonder, if we had something like a pool where I could say: I give
> up the maintainance of this extension, someone want to pick it up? And
> where you can have a look: The hold on that extension was given up,
> maybe I can do something...
>
> What do you think?

Hello,

there is the Extension Coordination Team and the list
extension-coordination. You can make a notice on the developer list or
on the ECT list which extension keys you give up.

Unfortunately many users cannot transfer the extension keys by
themselves. This is due to a bug of the extension used on typo3.org to
manage the extension keys. Therefore a developer might have to wait for
many months until an extension key will be transferred to him.
And not even the leader (Daniel Bruessler?) of the ECT has any rights to
transfer the extension keys to persons.

And persons can request extension keys on the list of ECT. See the rules
on the page
http://forge.typo3.org/wiki/extension-ect/Extensionkey_transfer

It is also a security risk, if an unknown persons gets the key of an
extension. He could implement harmful code.

And you can get into troubles, if a person gets an extension key and
then he simply does nothing or introduces only a lot of bugs. And then
he even refuses to handle the key over to another person. You cannot
request the extension key back!

- Franz