[TYPO3-dev] Development/Integration/Staging/Production Practice for TYPO3

Rens Admiraal renst3 at e-rank.nl
Mon Mar 29 10:44:10 CEST 2010

Hi Ben,

I've been searching for this for a while also, but didn't really find
something good (or didn't search good enough :p ). I've once found a
synchronization module (treesync as I remember correctly) which seemed to
offer the ability to synchronize 2 databases. But after emptying someones
productdatabase I stopped using that one :-)

For now we use a structure in which we add the entire project to SVN, and
configure Typoscript in txt files... This makes it also possible to let SVN
merge changes of multiple developers in the same typoscript configuration,
which is cool :-) When we keep a close eye on database changes after the
release of a project, and make those changes before a possible upload of the
project, than everything is really fine... But this is a really weak spot of
this procedure...

We are still thinking about some kind of (FLOW3 based) upload tool with
Dev/Int/Stag/Prod structure, which could upload an installation, but no
actual development done yet... Such a tool could export a tagged version
from svn to a temporary directory for example, compare the database, and
copy the changed files to the live location. Some functionality to
synchronize certain tables (like templavoila tables for example) could also
help a lot...

So, no, we don't have a bullet proof solution yet, but when we keep the
database structure synchronized (which might also be done with external
tools) it seems to work perfectly well...

I'm really curious to solutions other people use, or maybe it might be cool
to create such an upload tool (if there isn't one already) as a forge
project...

Greetz,
Rens