[TYPO3-dev] Development/Integration/Staging/Production Practice for TYPO3

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Mar 29 10:23:53 CEST 2010

ben van 't ende schrieb am 29.03.2010 10:10:
> Heyla,
>
> Today the question was raised to me how companies deal with advanced Staging.
> That means separate Development/Integration/Staging/Production installations in
> a structured process for website development that maximizes productivity and
> reduces bugs that reach the user. Ofcourse TYPO3 features workspaces, but that
> does not deal with new functionality/extensions in a TYPO3 project. Some former
> client I once had used a custom script that would skip dynamic tables when
> updating the whole installation if I remember correctly. There where many
> disadvantages to that procedure as well and it could hardly be called bullet
> proof. I did not encounter such a situation where a client needed that
> functionality after that. I can imagine however that in a number of situations
> this could be interesting.
>
> Are there already any experiences around of having to deal with such a
> situation? In what way would this be do-able in a TYPO3 environment?

We usually have exactly that (for several customers working nicely):

1) staging server where the editors work
2) live server

A script that can be triggered by the admin of the staging server which:
- rsync the filesystem (respecting certain configured excludes)
- copies the database to the server (table by table, also respecting
excludes, f.e. the "fe_users" and "fe_session" tables)

The "copying" is done differently depending on the magnitude. On some
cases we use simple mysqldump's. On others we use mysqlhotcopy.

Still, an "incremental" publishing mechanism would be interesting to
implement, as it would minimize the amount of data to be transmitted on
each sync. But it is of course also a lot more complex and with this
more error prone.

Cheers,
Ernesto