[TYPO3-dev] New relational concept for personal data

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Jan 25 18:57:38 CET 2010

>>> Example:
>>> 1st Address is for business use -> Salutation: Dear Mr. Dau,
>>
>> Why would the salutation be part of the address? An address is a
>> physical location.
>
> It might not be a real *part* of the address, but it can surely depend
> on the address which salutation to use.

This is why "salutation" belongs to the relation and not to the person or
the location.
A relation defines the context, while person and location defines the real
data.
Of course it might be possible to assign a salutation directly to the adress
table, but the context can be even more complex, so that the salutation
might change depending on the person who is writing.

In any case the salutation is still part of the context just like other
information about the connection between two persons writing each other from
a certain location to another location.

This is getting too detailed for this discussion, since most of the comments
already agreed on having a special extension for that purpose, while leaving
it the "TYPO3 way" for fe_users for now.

But IMHO this is not just about persons and locations, so I guess the so
called "party framework" might not be what I wanted to aim for, since I had
a more general approach in mind, that would enable people to easily create
tables and relations between them and add information about the context of
these relations later on.
Basically this was the idea behind:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/show/extension-scotty

Feel free to join the team and share your ideas there.
Even if you don't want to join, it would be very helpful, if you could at
least drop some stuff at the wishlist-Wikipage.

Thx

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de